Hledáme postdoka k zapojení do nového tříletého projektu GAČR. Další informace níže.
POSTDOC POSITION – FUNCTIONAL PLANT COMMUNITY CHANGE (f/m)
Join our international team of over 150 researchers and take advantage of the facilities and support provided by the Institute of Botany of the Czech Academy of Sciences. We value professionality and friendly relations based on trust, respect and teamwork. Thanks to our continuous joint efforts the Institute of Botany is a place where we can all flourish professionally and personally.
As part of a three-year research grant funded by the Czech Science Foundation, the Department of Vegetation Ecology of the Institute of Botany is opening a new postdoc position in the study of
FUNCTIONAL RESPONSES OF TEMPERATE FOREST HERBS TO WATER STRESS
The project aims to understand the feedback of biodiversity on climate and nature’s contributions to people. The group from the Department of Vegetation Ecology in Brno is studying the mechanisms of drought effects on changes in herbaceous communities of temperate forest undergrowth.
Your responsibilities and duties:
- Planning and collecting ecological data in the field to determine variability of functional response on an environmental gradient;
- Analysing ecological data using statistical tools and linking field monitoring data, functional traits data and eco-physiological measurements;
- Writing research papers in the fields of ecology / global change biology and publishing them in impact journals;
- Presenting results at international conferences;
- Coordinating a small working team (2-3 people).
- PhD or equivalent in plant ecology, landscape ecology, botany, forestry, biogeography or related fields relevant to biodiversity research;
- Experience in plant and vegetation analyses, statistical modelling;
- Field experience with data collection in flora or vegetation (species and their morphology);
- Experience in plant eco-physiology is convenient;
- Good communication skills, motivation for teamwork;
- Flexible and independent way of organizing work with a clear focus on science;
- English (excellent).
The successful candidate will enjoy working in a collaborative team but must be highly self-motivated and work well independently.
The contract includes benefits such as:
- Competitive salary of some €18.470 per year (CZK 40.000/month);
- Fully covered health insurance and contribution to the social security system;
- Flexible working hours, 25 days of paid vacation, 5 sick days;
- Contribution to food expenses (vouchers);
- Work in the laid back and beautiful city of Brno, capital of Southern Moravia;
- “Buddy programme” offering collegial support to newcomers from abroad;
- Bonus payments for publications;
- Project budget for trips to conferences and workshops;
- Support for career development and mentoring;
- Courses in “Academic writing”.
- CV (incl. publication record);
- Motivation letter stating the applicant´s research interests and expertise and describing previous experience;
- References (name and contact information of 2 referees).
- 1st round: evaluation of candidates based on CV and other information provided;
- 2nd round: interview (presentation of previous work achievements).
Application deadline: 21 March 2021
Send applications to: email@example.com
Starting date: 1 May 2021 (at the earliest)
End of project: 31 December 2023
Location: Brno, Czech Republic
Website for additional job details: http://ekolbrno.ibot.cas.cz/en/adaptace-vyhnuti-nebo-vyhynuti-propojeni-ekologie-spolecenstev-a-ekofyziologie-k-porozumeni-vlivu-vlhkostniho-deficitu-v-temperatnich-lesich/
Keywords: plant community ecology; plant ecophysiology; plant functional traits; temperate forest; functional plasticity; water stress; global change.
CZECH ACADEMY OF SCIENCES
With almost 10.000 employees more than half of whom are researchers with university degrees, the Czech Academy of Sciences is the largest research-performing institution in the Czech Republic.
The primary mission of the Academy and its 54 institutes, including the Institute of Botany, is to conduct basic research in a broad spectrum of natural, technical and social sciences and the humanities. Researchers also participate in education, particularly through doctoral study programmes for young researchers and by teaching at universities. The Academy fosters collaboration with applied research and industry.
INSTITUTE OF BOTANY
The Institute of Botany of the Czech Academy of Sciences is one of the main centres of botanical research in the Czech Republic and carries out fundamental research on species, populations and communities. It offers researchers an excellent environment for field research, common garden and laboratory experiments as well as laboratory analyses.
The Institute is composed of three Research Divisions located in Průhonice, on the outskirts of Prague, in Třeboň and in Brno.
DEPARTMENT OF VEGETATION ECOLOGY
Researchers of the Department are specialised in vegetation ecology and they focus on basic and applied research in vegetation ecology, especially the long-term development and short-term dynamics of ecosystems and the interaction between human societies and nature. The Department has a laboratory for the analysis of soil and plant material.
Researchers of the unit specialising in Vegetation Ecology concentrate mainly on the biodiversity and species composition of present plant communities and their ecological determinants. Their main interest lies in the impact of global environmental changes on plant communities and individual species.
For more information on the Department of Vegetation Ecology, please visit our website: http://ekolbrno.ibot.cas.cz/en/
Brno is the second largest city in the Czech Republic and the capital of the South Moravia Region. With a population of just under 400.000, it is much smaller than Prague and is a friendly, not very crowded and generally more relaxed city with a number of universities such as the Masaryk University, Brno University of Technology, Mendel University in Brno and others. Life quality is comparable and living costs in are much lower in Brno than in many EU cities (https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/in/Brno?displayCurrency=EUR).